Friday, September 23, 2011

Autumn Apples!

As a girl, my elementary schools in New York and Pennsylvania took us apple picking each year. Early Fall is one of the best times for joy-filled walks in an orchard. I remember with delight the crisp air and smile on my face as we raced off the buses and into the orchard! I would bite the first apple I could find and savor the sweet, enchanting fruit. Eve and I must be related.

Anyway, everyone knows that apples are one of the very best fruits for cooking! I like them with just about anything. I even cook apples in stews!

Below you will find the simplest applesauce recipe (and it all gets made in your crock pot)! I have been using it for years and it is so wholesome and tasty.


Spiced Applesauce
  • 10 medium-sized cooking apples
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/8 cup brown sugar or 1/4 cup regular sugar
  • 1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 Tablespoon ground cloves
Peel, core & slice apples into 6 pieces each. Place in crockpot. Add your water and brown sugar, and then add your spices. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours, or high for 3 1/2 hours. Once cooked, your applesauce may need a little mashing with a fork or potato masher....then, smile and divulge.

No comments:

Post a Comment